|Posted on March 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM||comments (1)|
We here at Simply Green Lawn and Landscape want you to have a beautiful lawn wether You have our Pros do it or if you are a do it yourselfer that enjoys working in the yard as much as we do. Therefore, we have put together a list of the things we believe will help you get started right this spring.
1. You should have your equipment serviced if you didnt do it at the end of the last season. Alcohol in fuel,can seperate and ruin a carb on equipment like your 2 cycle trimmer. Also, dull blades will tear your grass rather than giving you a nice clean cut.
2. Rake your lawn to remove leaves, sticks, and debris from the winter. This will also aid in the removal of dead grass and help new grass grow.
3. Overseed your lawn with the type of grass that you already have or that works best for your area. Apply seed to bare spots and lightly cover with soil to promote growth. Remember to keep these areas watered. You want the grass to be thick enough to block out weeds before they have a chance to grow. Fescue works great here in the Midwest but doesn't spread, so you will need to seed those bare spots.
4. Mow your lawn as short as you can without scalping it the first time. It would also help to bag it the first mow. This will aid with the removal of dead grass and leaves as well as help sunlight to more easily reach new emerging grass and warm the soil quicker to promote new growth.
5. You should mow your lawn at least once a week in the spring so as to trim the grass rather than cut it. Remember, you never want to trim more than 1/3 the height of the grass to avoid shocking the lawn.
6. Our final Spring tip is to have your soil tested. A lawn missing basic nutrients orpoor ph can hurt your lawn tremendously. In our area, you can take a sample to the sedgwick county extension office or just Google soil sample testing.
We hope this gives you just a bit of insight as to how to have a beautiful lawn this season. If you have any questions or woul like to discuss how we can help you, just use our contact us page. we would be happy to help.